The lighthouse, pyramid and mosaic in the Donkin Reserve in Port Elizabeth. The reserve is four hectares of green space off Belmont Terrace overlooking the city. It was set aside for the people of Port Elizabeth in perpetuity by Sir Rufane Donkin, acting governor of the Cape Colony from 1820 to 1821.
Donkin named the city after his wife Elizabeth, who had died in Meerut, India in 1818. The stone pyramid bears a touching inscription to Elizabeth: “In memory of one of the most perfect of human beings, who has given her name to the Town below.”
While the pyramid and lighthouse were built in the 1800s, the mosaic was created in the 1990s. It visually tells the history of the people of Port Elizabeth and the Eastern Cape. (6000.co.za, CC BY-NC-ND 2.0)