The Eastern Cape is South Africa’s poorest province, both in its percentage of poor households and the number of its people who live in poverty. The province with the smallest share of households in poverty is the Western Cape.
The Northern Cape has the fewest poor people, but 6.6% of households in its small population live in poverty.
In Gauteng, only 4.6% of the population live in poverty. But the poverty experienced in Gauteng, the wealthiest province, is the most intense.
Poverty in South Africa’s nine provinces
|Population||Households||Average household size||Households in poverty||People in poverty (based on population)*||People in poverty (based on households)*||Intensity of poverty|
- Statistics South Africa Community Survey 2016
- Community Survey 2016: Provinces at a Glance
- The South African Multidimensional Poverty Index
- Animation: Measuring the dimensions of poverty in South Africa
- Mapping poverty in South Africa
- Map: Distribution of South Africa’s races
- The nine provinces of South Africa
- Infographic: Population density in South Africa’s provinces
- The economies of South Africa’s provinces
- South Africa’s population
Researched, written and designed by MC Alexander.
Updated 17 July 2018.