Local government in KwaZulu-Natal is organised into eight major municipalities. One is metropolitan, and the other 10 are district municipalities. The districts are further divided into 43 local municipalities.
KwaZulu-Natal has 11 major municipalities.
One is the metropolitan municipality of eThekwini, the urban region around the city of Durban.
The other 10 – larger, more rural regions – are district municipalities.
The province also has 43 local municipalities, each falling under one of the 10 district municipalities.
KwaZulu-Natal: Metropolitan and district municipalities
|People per square kilometre|
|King Cetshwayo||District||Richards Bay||8,213||971,135||118|
READ MORE ABOUT LOCAL GOVERNMENT:
- Local government in the Eastern Cape
- Local government in the Free State
- Local government in Gauteng
- Local government in KwaZulu-Natal
- Local government in Limpopo
- Local government in Mpumalanga
- Local government in the Northern Cape
- Local government in North West
- Local government in the Western Cape
READ MORE ABOUT SOUTH AFRICA’S PROVINCES:
- The nine provinces of South Africa
- The population of South Africa’s provinces
- The land area of South Africa’s provinces
- Gallery: The Eastern Cape
- Gallery: The Free State
- Infographic: The economies of South Africa’s nine provinces
- Infographic: Population density in South Africa’s provinces
- Infographic: What languages are spoken in South Africa’s provinces?
- The provinces and ‘homelands’ of South Africa before 1996
Data source: Statistics South Africa’s 2016 Community Survey
Thanks and credit to Htonl, who makes public-funded data available to the public and creates maps of South Africa you can’t find anywhere else.
Researched, written and designed by Mary Alexander.
Updated 8 June 2018.